Vol. II No. 18 9/15/2021
Notes from the Select Board, August 26, Hybrid Meeting
- Roxanne McCaffrey, Chair
- Patrick White
- Chuck Cardillo
Also present: Michael Canales, Town Administrator; Lori Robbins, Trustee for 20 Mahkeenac
- 20 Mahkeenac requested a special permit. At issue:
- The proposed house will be in the Lake and Pond Overlay District (LOPD).
- Apparently, the LPOD Bylaw requires that if a house is torn down, the new house must be the same size or smaller. This request is for a much bigger house. The tear down was 1428 sq. ft and the proposed house will be over 2000 sq. ft.
- The request is predicated on assertion that original estimate of sq. ft. was incorrect and should have been larger by 988 sq. ft. (a space 38 x 26 feet).
- That would make the original house 1428 + 988= 2416 sq. ft. — larger than the current request. However, the original house was torn down by the current owner and the claim cannot be substantiated. Special Permit for 20 Mahkeenac postponed pending review and comment from Town Counsel.
- Hilary Deely spoke about Laurel Hill Day August 28.
- Harvey Waller spoke about the 3-day coaching weekend October 9, 10, and 11 2021. The coaches will come through Stockbridge along Main Street on Sunday October 10 at approximately 11:15 a.m. All are invited to come and watch the parade of carriages. Update: due to Covid this event has been cancelled.
Editor's question and note: 1. If the original house was bigger than reported, are back taxes owed for those years? That is, are real estate taxes based in part on square footage? 2. Thank you to our marvelous Laurel Hill Association and Coaching Society, Hilary Deely and Harvey Waller, for bringing so much beauty to Stockbridge. And thank you to the Select Board Chair for adding them to the agenda.
Fall berries. Photo: Patrick White